SUMMARY: The Procurement Trainee will be responsible for becoming proficient in and executing all processes and strategies used in the purchasing department to procure items as identified by Sr. Director of Merchandising. Once skill proficiency is achieved this position will move into the procurement specialist position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with internal customers and suppliers
- Proactively coordinate activity and communicate with internal customers and suppliers
- Prepare purchase orders
- Efficiently and accurately monitor open purchase orders
- Assist procurement specialists in managing inventory levels to meet service level goals and minimize shrink
- Monitor deliveries and proactively work to ensure supplier delivery schedules are met
- Review inventory status reports to identify changes in sales, review and work with procurement specialists to adjust par levels to maintain appropriate inventory levels and meet service level goals
- Work with supplier and category manager on any issues, including, but not limited to overstock, shortages, quality issues, etc.
- Respond to inquiries about order status, changes or cancellations
- Perform procurement duties when necessary
- Contact suppliers in order to schedule or expedite deliveries and to resolve shortages, missed or late deliveries, and other issues
- Review orders to verify accuracy, price, and specifications
- Prepare, maintain and review purchasing files, reports and price lists
- Compare supplier order confirmations with purchase orders in order to verify accuracy
- Locate suppliers and items, using sources such as the broker network and the internet, and gather information about products to be ordered
- Set up new suppliers and process new item set ups
- Gain product knowledge by participating in activities such as new product showings, sales meetings, etc.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the Company, and the community; and maintains the professional competence, knowledge, and skill necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
- Poses no direct threat to the health or safety of himself/herself, of others, or to property. Defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Requires regular attendance to perform essential element as contained herein between the assigned start and end times for work.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university or an equivalent amount of experience
- Must have proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel as well as the ability to quickly learn Upper Lakes Foods’ software system
- Must have a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong desire for continued growth and learning
PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION & WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Typical office environment with shelves overhead and above work surfaces.
- Sitting at workstation 85% of work time. Standing/walking bending, and reaching, and lifting and carrying of light loads approximately 15% of work time.
- Occasional weekends, travel and offsite meetings.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.