The Backhaul Logistics Coordinator is responsible for generating cost savings and profit growth by filling empty miles while increasing the utilization of the ULF fleet. This position will be responsible for identifying empty freight lanes and utilize available excess capacity to backhaul products into the Cloquet and Northfield warehouses. This position also negotiates market rates for potential new backhaul business with Vendors and Carriers, while communicating with the cost group and purchasing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify backhaul opportunities and maintain a list of potential markets for new opportunities
- Identify and coordinate relationships with Vendors as well as Carriers, negotiates market rates for potential new business.
- Identifies opportunities to foster continuous improvement proposes to department, leadership & company for implementation.
- Communicate with Vendors and Carriers and schedule/confirm loads
- Develop an understanding of customers’ needs and take actions to ensure that needs are met.
- Report project plans, progress and results
- File cover sheets, compile driver packets, and confirm invoices daily
- Communicate daily schedule with warehouse staff
- Functions as a single point of contact for backhaul Vendors and Carriers;
- Exercises independent judgement in the negotiation of pricing, analysis of freight lines, resolution of customer issues and complaints.
- Adheres to policies and practices as determined by Upper Lakes Foods.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the Company, and the community; and maintains the professional competence, knowledge, and skill necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
- Poses no direct threat to the health or safety of himself/herself, of others, or to property. Defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Requires regular attendance to perform essential element as contained herein between the assigned start and end times for work.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- 2-4 year degree in a Logistics or Transportation discipline, preferred.
- 1-3 yrs experience in a logistics/transportation role
- Understanding of cube size and weight restrictions for loading
- Demonstrates excellent attention to detail and good organization skills.
- Good interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Systems
- Knowledge of TMS & Target™ Systems
ABOUT UPPER LAKES FOODS
Upper Lakes Foods, Inc. is the largest independent, wholesale food distributor in Minnesota. The company has three facilities located in Cloquet, MN, Northfield, MN and Janesville, WI. We distribute food throughout the Upper Midwest. Upper Lakes Foods specializes in serving foodservice operators such as independent restaurants, assisted living facilities, schools, and national and regional foodservice chain accounts with a strong focus on customer service. Simply put, the mission is to build value for each customer, employee, supplier and community we serve by bringing the best; the best products, best people and best ideas.
- Strong Work Ethic – We believe in the value of hard work, perseverance and consistency of character.
- Positive Attitude – We believe in encouraging a flexible, agreeable and well-adjusted work existence that promotes successful outcomes.
- Integrity – We believe in honesty, truthfulness and consistency of our actions.
- Team Work – We believe that work done by several individuals combined insures excellence of quality, safety and service.
- Professional Appearance – We believe in maintaining an appearance that promotes good hygiene, neatness and appropriate business dress.
- Respectful Interaction – We believe in creating a workplace where employees are treated fairly in a safe and positive environment.
“We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.”