SUMMARY The Continuous Improvement Manager position will have responsibility to work with all departments to review, build, and implement processes to promote standard quality output and cost savings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides leadership and strategic thinking for implementing continuous improvement initiatives in the areas of:
- Inbound freight and related areas of receiving and quality control
- Outbound freight and related areas of order delivery
- Product Selection, pallet builds, and pallet loading
- Audit processes
- Building Sanitation
- Document libraries storing processes and best practices
- Analyze, document, implement, train, and review processes for all departments:
- Warehouse both 1st and 2nd
- Transportation including the tractor trailer yard
- Collaborate with various departments and people to establish processes, output goals, and timelines
- Facilitate regular meetings with leadership to report goals and progress
- Seek perspectives and opinions from employees to gather information and to help ensure employee acceptance of processes both new and changed
- Report goals, timelines, and cost savings to management
- Document and communicate processes thoroughly and effectively
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the Company, and the community; and maintains the professional competence, knowledge, and skill necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
- Poses no direct threat to the health or safety of himself/herself, of others, or to property. Defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Requires regular attendance to perform essential element as contained herein between the assigned start and end times for work.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- 2 to 5 years in a warehousing and/or transportation setting
- At least 1 year in a successful Leadership role
- Understand various computer programs including Microsoft Office Suite, E-logs, POD equipment and electronic temperature monitoring systems.
- Demonstrated success in process development and organizational buy in.
- Able to communicate well with employees, including drivers, yard people, warehouse people, and management.
- Ability to work collaboratively across departments
- Occasional use of warehouse equipment requires the ability to be certified in operation.
- 2 years post-secondary education
- Advanced excel user, able to create pivot tables, v-looks ups etc. to aide in process improvement projects.
- Previous exposure to Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma and Kaizen concepts or desire to seek further education in these areas.
ABOUT UPPER LAKES FOODS
Upper Lakes Foods, Inc. is the largest independent, wholesale food distributor in Minnesota. The company has three facilities located in Cloquet, MN, Northfield, MN and Janesville, WI. We distribute food throughout the Upper Midwest. Upper Lakes Foods specializes in serving foodservice operators such as independent restaurants, assisted living facilities, schools, and national and regional foodservice chain accounts with a strong focus on customer service. Simply put, the mission is to build value for each customer, employee, supplier and community we serve by bringing the best; the best products, best people and best ideas.
- Strong Work Ethic – We believe in the value of hard work, perseverance and consistency of character.
- Positive Attitude – We believe in encouraging a flexible, agreeable and well-adjusted work existence that promotes successful outcomes.
- Integrity – We believe in honesty, truthfulness and consistency of our actions.
- Team Work – We believe that work done by several individuals combined insures excellence of quality, safety and service.
- Professional Appearance – We believe in maintaining an appearance that promotes good hygiene, neatness and appropriate business dress.
- Respectful Interaction – We believe in creating a workplace where employees are treated fairly in a safe and positive environment.
“We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.”