This position partners with the management team, handles the day-to-day Human Resources functions with an emphasis in employee relations, training and development, performance management and process improvement/development. Ensures compliance with state and federal labor laws and provide appropriate communication to managers and supervisors regarding new regulations. Identifies trends and recommends employee relations strategies. Acts as a consultant to internal departments to implement and uphold policies and procedures. Performs special projects independently and with other members of the management team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coaches managers and staff on matters related to human resources, leadership and training.
- Interprets Company Policies and Procedures and ensures the Company Values are consistently practiced throughout the company.
- Resolves employee relations issues with a systematic approach and works with employees and managers to determine root causes or issues.
- Partners with management in employee coaching and discipline.
- Drives employee reviews, feedback and coaching in a continuous annual cycle by partnering with managers to develop workable strategies for each employee segment.
- Responsible for updating employee handbook and HR Policies in compliance with local state and federal law. Interprets law changes and evaluates handbook for compliance. Drafts and recommends changes as necessary.
- Responsible for compiling and reporting data for EEOC & Affirmative Action Compliance.
- Collects and verifies all required data related to work injuries. Reports injuries to workers compensation insurers. Compiles data and provides administrative support to Claims manager, safety specialist and HR Director as well as procedural direction to employees.
- Participates in developing department and company strategies, plans, and systems that support business goals. Evaluates decisions and results regarding established goals and recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
- Partners with employees and management to communicate and administer various human resource policies, procedures, laws, standards and other government regulations.
- Represents the company for any unemployment claims, gathering data, reporting in a timely manner and furthering knowledge of UE laws to better assist managers in employment decisions.
- Able to perform all Human Resources functions performed by Payroll & Benefits Specialist and HR Administrator roles including but not limited to:
- Maintains human resource information system records and compiles reports from the database.
- Maintains employee record in Target system, hard copy ensuring confidentiality as well as any other employment records.
- Prepares pre-employment documents, conducts & schedules post-offer testing, reviews & communicates results as necessary.
- Conducts new hire orientations and participates in first day activities, welcoming new hires.
- Administrates random drug test program in compliance with DOT regulation and company policy.
- Collects and verifies all required data and documents for Driver Qualification Files
- Collecting and inputting all data related to onboarding of new hires; ensures required documents are obtained and securely filed. Follows up with managers to obtain missing documents. Updated all tracking and database systems accordingly.
- Processing Payroll
- Benefits administration
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the Company, and the community; and maintains the professional competence, knowledge, and skill necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
- Poses no direct threat to the health or safety of himself/herself, of others, or to property. Defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Requires regular attendance to perform essential element as contained herein between the assigned start and end times for work.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Bachelor’s Degree (HR related discipline preferred)
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in an HR role
- Excellent knowledge of HR/personnel practices and principles, and all applicable labor, pay, benefits, health, and safety laws and regulations.
- Excellent planning, time management, decision making, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to coach at all levels within the organization; influencing, facilitation, presentation, negotiation, communication, process development, analysis, and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrates history of progressive responsibility and decision making
- Ability to develop a high level of personal credibility with employees and management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Proven ability to provide effective customer service for internal and external customers.
- Must be detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills in order to manage a continuous workflow in a high volume, multi-tasking environment.
- Ability to make independent decisions with minimal oversight
- Demonstrated culture management and ability to translate desired company culture into specific employee and managerial behaviors.
- SHRM-CP, PHR or HR Related Accreditation
ABOUT UPPER LAKES FOODS
Upper Lakes Foods, Inc. is the largest independent, wholesale food distributor in Minnesota. The company has three facilities located in Cloquet, MN, Northfield, MN and Janesville, WI. We distribute food throughout the Upper Midwest. Upper Lakes Foods specializes in serving foodservice operators such as independent restaurants, assisted living facilities, schools, and national and regional foodservice chain accounts with a strong focus on customer service. Simply put, the mission is to build value for each customer, employee, supplier and community we serve by bringing the best; the best products, best people and best ideas.
- Strong Work Ethic – We believe in the value of hard work, perseverance and consistency of character.
- Positive Attitude – We believe in encouraging a flexible, agreeable and well-adjusted work existence that promotes successful outcomes.
- Integrity – We believe in honesty, truthfulness and consistency of our actions.
- Team Work – We believe that work done by several individuals combined insures excellence of quality, safety and service.
- Professional Appearance – We believe in maintaining an appearance that promotes good hygiene, neatness and appropriate business dress.
- Respectful Interaction – We believe in creating a workplace where employees are treated fairly in a safe and positive environment.
“We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.”