From “A La Carte.” Wisconsin Restaurateur 1 Apr. 2016: 2. Print.
What’s the Buzz for Summer?
Wondering what the new trends and buzzwords will be for the restaurant industry this summer? International food and restaurant consultants, Baum + Whiteman have identified the following buzzwords to describe their predictions for the restaurant industry in 2016:
- Falafel appearing as vegetables in serious restaurants
- Kombucha going mainstream
- Burnt vegetables
- “Shack” in restaurant names
- Everything bagel seasoning mix
- Root-to-stalk cooking
- Why poke isn’t hokey
- Globalized ramen
- Adding seaweed to popcorn
- More automation and kiosks in fast food, fast-casual restaurants – speeding up service, saving labor
- 3-D food printers
- General Tso flavorings
- Alcoholic beverages in quick-service restaurants
- Build-your-own options
- Values, not value – consumers scrutinizng restaurants’ policies on health, wellness, sustainability, additives, GMO, animal welfare, employee wages
- Nashville hot chicken
- Fallout in frozen yogurt chains – juice bars may be next
- Food halls galore
- War on food waste
- Philippine cuisine
For more trend predictions from Baum + Whiteman, click here.